Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Long time, no post

Its been about three weeks since I have posted.  I need to get in the habit of this blogging thing a little better.  I typically ride for solace and to think.  For this, I typically ride alone.  I prefer it.

I am a sucker for books and words, and spent a good part of college reading and studying the writings of poets and novelists and other such hippies.  When I ride, I typically think of the imagery around me as it could be conveyed.  When I read poetry, I think of these places and how I could get there for the experience.

So today I will leave a poem from Gary Snyder.  I need to get on the bike.

For the Children

The riding hills, the slopes,
of statistics
lie before us.
the steep climb
of everything, going up,
up, as we all
go down.

In the next century
or the one beyond that,
they say,
are valleys, pastures,
we can meet there in peace
if we make it

To climb these coming crests
one word to you, to
you and your children:

stay together
learn the flowers
go light

No comments: