Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 2

So I talk about Ed Abbey alot.  I studied him and read every book in college.  It used to be an escape for me to bring my mind back to the beautiful canyon country.

This blog has done the same.  Everytime I write a post, my mind goes to canyon country, envisioning every mile of this trail, what it will be like to have coffee at sunrise, when you can feel the desert in the spring.  The drastic shift from frigid cold to sunlit warmth as the sun rises is a wonderful feeling, especially with coffee.  In fact, there is a certain flavor of coffee that everytime I taste, it brings me right to that experience.  I don't drink it often to make sure that the experience is not worn.

Speaking of trail coffee, Meiser did a great write up and video of how its done.  I used to do it a bit different and go cowboy.  I might be getting soft as I get older, now I use one of these:



Yep, I went out and bought one a while back for $17 or some such crazy number, only to find recently that high-end tea shops sell the exact same thing, sans MSR logo for about $9.

For Day 2, I am looking forward to this feeling once again, awakening to the desert twilight, making my coffee and feeling the tremendous warmth as the sun rises and shines down.

This day we will be riding from the campsite on the Colorado to a campsite up past Onion Creek in Fisher Valley.  This day has the hardest climb of the trip, in my opinion.  Sure, its not as long as some, and doesn't reach as high of an altitude as others.  But its steep.  Really steep.  Like walk my bike for the last mile kinda steep.  It killed me last year.  With a lower gear on my bike, I hope to kill it this year.  Take that Rose Garden hill.

Profiles and TopoFusion outputs:





I dream of being the desert solitaire with every post that I write.  Without all the destruction stuff.  If the FBI is reading this, take no worry, I don't advocate or envy that side of Abbey.

"Society is like a stew.  If you don't stir it up every once in a while, then a layer of scum floats to the top." - Ed Abbey

No comments: